AHRI engages in standardization activities across the globe to facilitate trade, build new markets, and boost economic growth for the HVACR industry. We work to remove trade barriers through the promotion of AHRI standards and the harmonization of technical standards across national and regional boundaries. To be effective, AHRI’s strategy encompasses a multilateral and bilateral approach to standards harmonization.
In partnership with the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), AHRI holds leadership positions in the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) technical committees responsible for air conditioning and refrigeration standards development.
AHRI also participates in the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), which is responsible for facilitating and promoting the harmonization of electrotechnical codes and standards. AHRI is also a member of the Council for Harmonization of Electrotechnical Standards of the Nation of Americas (CANENA), which is committed to developing draft harmonized standards for the nations of the Americas.
Agreements form Framework for Cooperation
In addition to its participation in these multilateral efforts, the association has also signed numerous agreements with industry organizations in other countries to facilitate standards harmonization. These agreements provide a basis for short-term, bilateral harmonization and form the framework for cooperation for more long-term, multilateral work with the ISO and IEC.
Over the past decade, AHRI has signed Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) with:
- Brazil’s Associação Brasileira de Refrigeração, Ar Condicionado, Ventilação e Aquecimento (Abrava)
- China Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Industry Association (CRAA)
- Indian Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ISHRAE) and the Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Manufacturers Association of India (RAMA)
- Korea Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Assessment Center (KRAAC)
- Mexico’s Asociación de Normalización y Certificación A.C. (ANCE)
- Russian Association of Engineers for Heating, Ventilation, Air- Conditioning, Heat Supply and Building Thermal Physics (ABOK)